Grogg Blog Header Photo

Grogg Blog Header Photo

Tuesday 8 July 2014

Grogg Inscriptions and Signatures - By Guest Writer Jonathan Fry

There are a number of ways to verify whether your Grogg is genuine. The various inscriptions, signatures and stickers underneath the Grogg provides a rough estimate of the year the Grogg was produced (if not already dated). 
  
Signatures

There are three different types of signatures usually found on a Grogg:

1. ‘John Hughes Wales’ - Generally on Groggs made between the 1970s & 1980s

2. ‘Hughes’ / ‘Hughes Wales’ - This was often seen on Groggs from the1990s

3. ‘Richard Hughes Wales’ - This appeared from around the year 2000 onwards
 
Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry















Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry
















Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry



















Inscriptions in the Clay:


Some Groggs may not be signed at all on the base but will include a signature or an inscription within the clay, as shown in some of the following examples:

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry































































































If you’re still unsure, a visit to the Grogg shop will put your mind at rest as Carly, Cathy and Richard can tell you if your Grogg is not a Grogg! 

Stickers

All Groggs produced today usually include a ‘World of Groggs’ sticker, be it standard edition or limited edition.

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry










































Photograph Courtesy of Carl Lewis














Inscriptions

The ‘Grogg Shop’ inscriptions are generally from the 1990s.

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry















































The ‘World of Groggs’ inscriptions are generally from the 2000s

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry





















More recently, Groggs include both the ‘Richard Hughes’ and ‘World of Groggs’ inscriptions.

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry














Some collectors may have noticed a strange symbol next to the 'World of Groggs' inscription on some of their Groggs, as shown below:

Photograph Courtesy of Jonathan Fry
 












We spoke to Richard Hughes about this strange symbol and this is what he had to say:

"I'm probably the only person who knows! In 2006 I realised I had been working at the Groggshop for 30 years and although ALL the personality based work (every likeness) was made by me from 1976 on, everything continued to be signed John Hughes Wales.

Over the years this has lead to a lot of confusion as to who made what. Basically I made anything with a recognisable face from the time I left school at 17. Dad struggled with the more subtle features of some people and as I loved a challenge he let me take over....the rest is history as they say.

Anyway by 2006 I was getting a little bored that some people though my dad was still making everything so I did a Prince....hence the symbol - which as someone people have guessed IS a fly fishing fly incorporating my initials (I'm a fly fisher!).
 
On my 50th birthday I decided to start signing all my work and the symbol disappeared to be replaced with my signature...a bit late maybe but better late than never I suppose."
 

No comments:

Post a Comment