Grogg Blog Header Photo

Grogg Blog Header Photo

Wednesday 9 July 2014

Collector Profile - Peter Davies


Age: 30 

Location: Al Ain (United Arab Emirates) 

When and how did you start collecting Groggs?
I started collecting Rugby memorabilia in general around 2003 & My Grandfather took me to the Grogg Shop around that time (I liked what I saw, but bought nothing) After this I would pick up the odd one here & there. 

What were the first 3 Groggs you owned and why in particular did you pick these?
Jonny Wilkinson (9 inch - Lions Kit),
Martin Johnson (9 inch - Lions kit),
Bill Beaumont (9 inch - Eng kit). 

I bought the Wilkinson & Johnson Groggs as I particularly collect British Lions memorabilia, Beaumont was listed incorrectly on ebay & was cheap. 

Do you still own these Groggs and if not why?
No, I got offered some Rare British Lions memorabilia & needed to raise the funds for it so they had to go. 

What Groggs do you try to collect now?
I try to collect the older 12”-14” Groggs (I particularly like Richard’s work from the late 70’s early 80’s). In my opinion they have more character than what he makes today (which are too “life like” for my liking “but appreciate the detail that has gone into them”). I would like to get a 12”-14” Grogg of each nation that was made in this period. 

How many groggs do you own?
13 

What's your favourite Grogg and why?
Being Welsh it may come as surprise to readers that my England Grogg is my favourite. The detail on the Rose really stands out for me & I like the writing on the ball “John Scott Forged”. (The way they have caught the character of the stereotypical Englishman I find particularly impressive). 10. Are there any groggs you regret selling if so why? No I don’t regret selling any of them (As it funded other areas of my collection). 

Who would you love to see Grogged?
I honestly don't mind who the shop make (they've done a good job till now).

Photographs Courtesy of Peter Davies

Photographs Courtesy of Peter Davies

Photographs Courtesy of Peter Davies

Photographs Courtesy of Peter Davies

Photographs Courtesy of Peter Davies

Photographs Courtesy of Peter Davies

Photographs Courtesy of Peter Davies

No comments:

Post a Comment