Grogg Blog Header Photo

Grogg Blog Header Photo

Friday 4 July 2014

Exclusive Interview - Filo Tiatia - Me & My Groggs - By Rob Van Der Steen

Born in Wellington, New Zealand in 1971 Filogia Ian Tiatia played Rugby on the professional stage in career which spanned nearly 20 years at the top flight. Playing in his native New Zealand, Japan and Wales, Filo gathered fans wherever he went and building a reputation as a tough, hard working number 8 and a model professional.

Filo's big break came in 1992 when he made his debut for his hometown Province Wellington where he racked up 80 appearances. Filo also represented the Hurricanes in the Super 12 between the years of 1996 and 2001, playing alongside former All Black captain Tana Umaga whilst racking up 57 Caps and scoring an impressive 40 points in the process.

Filo earned the first of his two Caps for the All Blacks in the year 2000 where he lined up against Tonga in a 102-0 victory, he even managed a try in the process. Filo's second Cap came against Italy in the same year where another try also followed.

In 2002, Filo left his native New Zealand to join Japanese side Toyota Verblitz where he represented the team until 2006 when he moved to the UK to join Welsh side the Ospreys in the Pro 12 league. It was here in Wales that Filo really made a name for himself in the eyes of the Welsh rugby fans and of course Richard Hughes and the Groggshop.

In 2008, Filo was Grogged by Richard Hughes, joining a select list of All Blacks to have been immortalised in clay. It's fair to say Filo gathered a fantastic fan base during his time at the Ospreys and somewhat of a cult status. The Osprey fans took a real shine to this gentleman of the game and even set up social network fan groups in his honour and of course this accolade was taken even further with the crafting of his very own Grogg.

After 99 Caps for the Ospreys and 50 points Filo Tiatia hung up his playing boots to take a coaching role at the club, for many fans there was disappointment that he hadn't made it to 100 appearances for the club and calls for him to be given one more game were echoed all around South Wales.

In 2011, Filo said goodbye to Wales and returned to the club he once played for in Japan, Toyota Verblitz. Rather than taking to the field as a player Filo returned in a coaching capacity and after a year of coaching the forwards he was promoted to head coach for the start of the 2012-13 season.

Filo is very much a family man and is a proud father to 5 wonderful children and happily married to his wife Sally. It's not just Filo who has made strides on the rugby field for the Tiatia family, Filo has also played alongside his brothers during his youth and his younger brother Ace has also lined up for Provincial and Super 12 teams during his career and represented Samoa on the International stage, the country of Filo's heritage.

The Grogg Blog was lucky enough to talk to Filo recently to find out a little more about him and his Groggs. Hope you enjoy the article. Happy Groggin'  

1. In 2008, you became immortalised as a Grogg for the first time joining some legendary All Blacks such as Jonah Lomu, Sean Fitzpatrick, Richie McCaw, Dan Carter, Doug Howlett and Ma'a Nonu. How did you find out that this was happening and how did you feel personally about it?

The first time I heard about Groggs was when I was at a BBQ at Andrew Milwards home in 2006-7 season. Bully has so many of the famous Groggs that he explained the meaning & how important they have become in Wales. Personally when I was asked to have a Grogg of myself made I felt very honoured & privileged to be part of the select group of men.

2. The Groggshop has achieved a worldwide following and a huge fan base of collectors. At what point did you become aware of the Groggshop and the work they do? Were you familiar with them prior to joining the Ospreys?

To be honest I didn't know about the famous Groggs until I lived in Gods Country, Swansea Wales

3. For many people being Grogged is the ultimate accolade, the sign that you have “Made it”. Did you take the opportunity show off your new found Grogg status with any individuals who haven’t been so lucky to have been Grogged yet?  

No that's not me, a quote my Mum always used to say to me and my Siblings - Always be and stay humble in everything you do in life. No one likes a show off !  

4. A whole host of Welsh and other International players have been Grogged over the years, including a number of All Blacks and of course several Ospreys. Was there ever any Grogg envy on your part of all of these players that had been Grogged prior to you getting your own one?

I was interested in who had been Grogged before me - so I had an interest in the Welsh  greats such as Barry John & the also the players that I had the pleasure to play along side with like Duncan jones, Adam Jones and the the likes of a Kiwi Kid who became a Legend and now current Cardiff Blues Coach Dale "The chief" Mcintosh! 

5. Did you go and brag to your teammates when you found out you were being Grogged?

No but felt a massive honor in getting Grogged and remember telling my younger brother Natano who played for Aberavon for many seasons before me and he told me that it was a privilege to be Grogged and especially being a "Forigner" so felt very humbled to be selected to be Grogged amongst some rugby greats

6. You were presented with a number of Groggs covering the various teams you have played for during your career, if you had to pick one which would be your favourite or the one that means the most to you?

They all mean the most to me ! For the teams I played for they created & helped mould the rugby person and my individual character over the years of my rugby journey to who I am today. So over the years it reminds me of the people I have met and friendships I've created or challenges against teams that I play against such as the The Scarlets across the bridge from Swansea or in Wellington New Zealand my rivalry against the Street kids in Poneke. So it brings back great memories and also reminds me of the coaches that helped develop my game

7. Aside from the set of Groggs the shop presented to you do you happen to own any other Groggs?  

Yes I have a Barry John Grogg

8. You’ve traveled all over the world with your work, what are your thoughts on the global knowledge of Groggs particularly in places like Japan where you are residing presently?

I'm currently living and coaching in Japan and have been here for 4 years now after leaving the Ospreys as a coach. I took my Toyota Verblitz Grogg to work one day to show my coaches and they all found it amusing! They googled Groggs and were really surprised on the proud history and rugby personalities that were Grogged 

9. We all have our heroes, whether that be in Rugby or any other area. Which one of your heroes would you like to see immortalised as a Grogg and why?

I have three people. They are not world famous but they were my heroes growing up as a kid and the other I have major respect. My request would be to Grogg "My father & Mother" and my wife Sally. Massive reasons why is that my Father Tiatia was my first Rugby coach and I man I respect massively and my Mum is my Life coach and kept me grounded always and told me straight and with unconditional Love! Without my parents you wouldn't have had a Filo Tiatia and with out the guidance they gave me I wouldn't have been the person am today so they played a massive part of my life. Then there is the super woman in my Life Sally. This woman inspires me everyday, we have 5 beautiful children together and I'm the luckiest man to have Sally in my life and she's my Best friend.

10. Apart from being Grogged, what was the proudest moment of your career?

Theres a lot of fond memories such as playing for my province Welington or making the All blacks. But for me it has to be playing senior rugby with my two younger brothers and as a loose forward trio. We played for a team called Hutt Old Boys Marist on the great Athletic Park maybe the year was 1998-9 season. It's always great playing along side people you trust and my two brothers well these two guys I can't say enough about. My best rugby memories by miles

11. Finally, If you could be Grogged again would you want anything done differently? For example, different kit, details on the Grogg or physical attributes.

No love it and thank you






































Photographs Courtesy Of The World Of Groggs
  

No comments:

Post a Comment