Grogg Blog Header Photo

Grogg Blog Header Photo

Tuesday 15 July 2014

Collector Profile - Paul Bowen


Age: 43  

Location: Stradey Park, Llanelli (West is Best)

When and how did you start collecting Groggs?
I first started collecting Groggs in 2009 after randomly driving through Ponty & came across the shop by accident. I was familiar with Groggs prior to this as my dad had a Phil Bennett & Gareth Wyatt given to him as gifts but I’d never been to the shop before. I spent over an hour in the shop and met with Richard who kindly showed me his workshop and the projects he was working on at the time, together with ‘The Signature Wall’ and how it all started. I eventually came out with a mini Dwayne Peel. If I’d known then what I know now, I’d have cleared the shelves of ‘specials’ and club kits!!

What were the first 3 Groggs you owned and why in particular did you pick these?
It was not for a further 2 years did I return to the shop to buy a 9” Stephen Jones & Action Dwayne Peel as I had been appointed as the Project Manager to oversee the construction of their new restaurant in Llanelli and got to know both Dwayne & Stephen personally. Little did I know that this was to become the start of an addiction!

Do you still own these Groggs and if not why?
I still own all 3 Groggs.

What Groggs do you try to collect now?
My collection consists purely of rugby Groggs in both 6” & 9” in hollow, groggy & resin finishes. The majority are Welsh/Lions players but I’m not adverse to a few other Nationalities if they appeal to me. (With the exception of English players! - am I allowed to say that? Lol)

How many Groggs do you own?
I currently own 59 Groggs (6 minis & 53 large)

What's your favourite Grogg and why?
My favourite Grogg is Gareth Thomas Lions who captained the side in 2005 – This is a Grogg I have been searching for since I started collecting and was lucky enough to finally get him earlier this year.

Are there any Groggs you regret selling if so why?
I have never sold any of my Groggs – they are all priceless to me!

Who would you love to see Grogged?
I would love to see Liam (Sanjay) Williams Grogged!

Photographs Courtesy of Paul Bowen

Photographs Courtesy of Paul Bowen

Photographs Courtesy of Paul Bowen

Photographs Courtesy of Paul Bowen

Photographs Courtesy of Paul Bowen

No comments:

Post a Comment