Grogg Blog Header Photo

Grogg Blog Header Photo

Wednesday 2 July 2014

Collector Profile - Gareth Williams

Age: 40

Location: Beddau, Wales

When did you start collecting Groggs?
I remember buying my dad a 9" Gareth Edwards back in 1996(he still had it) and then I wanted my own. Had my first Grogg as a leaving present from work back in 1997....9" Ieuan Evans.

What were the first 3 Groggs you owned?
Ieuan Evans was the first as I was moving to Llanelli so my work colleagues thought it would be fitting to have him. I then bought 9" Shane Howarth and 9" Brent Cockbain. It was the hype of the Graham Henry era that got me collecting.

Do you still own these Groggs?
I have two out of the three left. I sold Ieuan Evans as I dropped him and his head come clean off. It glued back on with only a hairline fracture showing......looking back I should of kept it!

What Groggs do you collect now?
I like to collect current players and have recently got Into International players and Lions 2013.

How many Groggs do you currently own?
51 9" Groggs, 4 6" Groggs and a sheep!! Out of the 51 9" Groggs, 37 are signed by the players.

What is your favourite Grogg and why?
I have three favourite Groggs. The first Is 9" Jonah Lomu In Cardiff Blues kit.....only 28 of them on the planet. Second is my 9" Dan Carter Grogg which he signed for me in 2012. Thirdly Is my 9" Shane Howarth who signed it for me when Newport played Llanelli at Stradey Park. He'd broken his wrist at the time and signed it with his left hand.....impressive!

Are there any Groggs you regret selling?
Only Ieuan Evans :-(

Who would you love to see Grogged?
I'd love to see Warren Gatland  Grogged as he's achieved so much so far. On a player front I'd like to see a good friend of mine Non Evans grogged. She's achieved so much in the world of sport, it would be the only female player ever to be grogged and she's scored more international tries for her country than any other player......including ShaneWilliams!!!!


Now for some photos of your Groggs:




No comments:

Post a Comment