Grogg Blog Header Photo

Grogg Blog Header Photo

Monday 23 June 2014

My Rugby Hero - Joost Van Der Westhuizen - By Rob Van Der Steen

South Africa, 1995, The Rugby World Cup.

It's fair to say this was the event which really peaked my interest in Rugby Union. At the age of 14, I was dazzled by the quality of rugby played by the hosts and eventual winners of the Webb Ellis Trophy, The Springboks.

Later in life this World Cup has resonated at a much deeper level with me. Yes there was fantastic rugby being played and some legendary players on show, but it was the adversity which the hosts had overcome and of course the unity felt when the team lifted the trophy in front of the whole world.

This World Cup was the first major sporting event to take place in South Africa following the end of apartheid. It was also the first World Cup in which South Africa was allowed to compete in.

One of the most iconic images was the President Nelson Mandela in Springbok colours presenting the Webb Ellis Cup to South Africa Captain Francois Pienaar. This was a bold move as the Green and Gold of the Springboks was something which was associated with the White South Africans. However, Mandela knew that embracing the Springboks was a way in which to try to unite the nation and it did.

Such was the significance of this that the Grogg Shop immortalised it in clay, it wasn't just South Africa that realised the significance of this moment but the whole world. Even as a 14 year old this image hit a chord with me and years later Mandela and Trophy became one of my first ever Grogg purchases.  

The whole Springbok team was inspirational to me but there was one player in particular that really peaked my interest and that was Scrum Half Joost Van Der Westhuizen.

Born in Pretoria South Africa in 1971 Joost spent his entire career playing for the South African side the Blue Bulls.  He received a total of 89 Caps for the Springboks Scoring an impressive 190 points in the progress, the highlight of his career had to be winning the World Cup in 1995.

For many Van Der Westhuizen's contributions to the Springboks were seen as the driving force in them winning the World Cup. Not only did he show mouth watering pace, physicality and an eye for the Try line, he also didn't shy away from his defensive responsibilities. One of the most memorable moments of the World Cup in South Africa came in the final, Joost made a crunching tackle on Jonah Lomu of New Zealand (The cup favourites) as he charged through the middle of the park. In fact Lomu was shut out all match and didn't manage to score any tries.

Despite being quite tall for a Scrum Half at 6ft 1in, Van Der Westhuizen's strength was his ability to sneak around the rucks often resulting a try. When Joost retired in 2003 he was the most capped Springbok of all time and the record holder for the most tries by a South African with 38.

His talent wasn't only noticed by me but the Groggshop also shared my admiration for this chap and shortly after the World Cup Final Joost was Grogged along with some of the other stars of that Springbok side. Originally available as a hollow Grogg, Joost is still available as part of the International Groggs collection. As solid in resin as he was on the field of play.  

My admiration of Joost on the field has later been enhanced by the battle that he has faced off of the Rugby pitch. In May 2011, Van Der Westhuizen was diagnosed with a form of Motor Neurone Disease called Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis. Such is the seriousness of this condition, there is only an 80% chance of living for two to five years from the point of diagnosis.

Confined to a wheelchair and with increasing struggles with speech, Joost hasn't let this disease destroy his strength in character. Shortly after diagnosis Joost set up the J9 foundation which aims to provide help and support to people with Motor Neurone Disease.

An inspiration for the Springboks, for me and a fantastic role model for those facing adversity.

"I realise every day could be my last. It's been a rollercoaster from day one and I know I'm on a deathbed from now on. I've had my highs and I have had my lows, but no more. I'm a firm believer that there's a bigger purpose in my life and I am very positive, very happy."




Photo Courtesy of the Groggshop

Photo Courtesy of the Groggshop


No comments:

Post a Comment