Grogg Blog Header Photo

Grogg Blog Header Photo

Friday 27 June 2014

Collector Profile - Barrie-John Partridge

Age: 33

Location: I live in auckland, New Zealand but I'm Originally from Gilfach Goch, Wales.

When did you start collecting Groggs?
Grogg collecting has always been there through my life. My parents owned a pub in Gilfach Goch when I was born and had several Groggs on display around the pub. Having always been surrounded by Groggs it seemed natural that I would also develop an interest in them.

What were the first 3 Groggs you owned?
The first three Groggs my family owned were: 
Wildman Williams
Barrie Partridge (My Dad) - 14" Jersey Rugby Kit - My Mother had this commissioned for my father as a present.
Dai Morris - 15" Neath Kit

However, the first three that were mine (that I chose or were given to me) were:

Barry John - 9" Welsh kit. Strictly he was our first named player in a Welsh strip, my father went back to wales for the 1991 World Cup, he knew that I always wanted a Barry John Grogg partially because of the similarity of our names (no I wasn't named after him) and he brought me one back as a Christmas present.

Graham Henry - 9" Welsh Suit. Being a rugby fan living in Auckland during the 90s meant that Graham Henry was an extremely dominant and eventually popular figure. I was among the people who thought he could do no wrong and was elated when he was appointed Wales coach, how he transformed us from a side that lost to South Africa by an unforgivable margin in 1998 through to a side that could beat them twelve months later made him a natural candidate for a Grogg purchase.

Martin Johnson - 9" England Strip. A player I admired tremendously, ever since I first watched him when he was on tour with the 1993 Lions and then again in 1997. When we went to watch the 2001 tour I saw him training in Brisbane, as he ran past me it was like the world had turned black as his shadow was huge. Just an immense man. After the Rugby World Cup in 2003 we just had to have him,


Do you still own these Groggs?
Yes to date I haven't sold a Grogg and I don't see a reason why I would in the future.

What Groggs do you collect now?
There are several aspects to my collection. My parents started collecting club Groggs back in the seventies and I'm trying to keep that idea going. Together with this idea is that I am trying to get a Grogg that shows each of the evolving Welsh strips over the years as well. I also collect New Zealand player Groggs. The Grogg that I most desparately want is John Kirwan, he was an idol of mine growing up. I have also picked up a Lion from each of the tours that I have followed (except for the 1993 tour, I haven't picked one up from that tour yet).

How many Groggs do you currently own?
51

What is your favourite Grogg and why?
Hands on my favourite Grogg is my dad. It was commissioned back in 1978 and it is just an awesome replica of my dad, simply tremendous.

Family bias aside, I guess it would have to be the Dai Morris Grogg, there is just something about him. It wasn't too long ago that he was shattered into about 1000 pieces and it was quite a battle with the insurance company to get him repaired (total cost NZD 1150 to repair) and now he looks like nothing has happened to him. I still remember hearing that crash, then the stillness in the house before the quiet knock  on the door with my mother weeping that she had broken Dai.

Are there any Groggs you regret selling?
No, as I have never sold any Groggs.

Who would you love to see Grogged?
I would loveto see a 9" Colin Charvis but I would also love to see Ali Williams, Dan Braid and Angus Macdonald Grogged.


Now for some photos of your Groggs:











No comments:

Post a Comment