Grogg Blog Header Photo

Grogg Blog Header Photo

Tuesday 19 August 2014

Collector Profile - Roy Wilkinson


Age: 44

Location: Llwyncelyn, Porth, Wales
 
When did you start collecting/buy your first piece?
I started collection in 1996 after moving up to the valleys from Cardiff when I started supporting Pontypridd RFC, which of course is also the home of the Grogg shop

What were the first 3 Groggs you owned and why in particular did you pick these?
 First was a clay Chief in a Ponty kit (now also signed) quickly followed by the legendary half backs Neil Jenkins and Paul John both in Wales strip
 
Do you still own these Groggs and if not why?
Yes, I still have these Groggs
 
What Groggs do you try to collect now or would you like to collect going forward?
 Due to costs I now focus on welsh minis, but will save for a special when it is a must have, the last being Aaron Ramsey in a Cardiff City shirt (also signed) I like where possible to get them signed as I believe it enhances personal value and it’s nice to see players surprised to be asked.
 
How many Groggs do you own? 
54
 
What's your favourite Grogg and why?
Sorry but I have 2, my first Grogg of Chief as he epitomised everything I believe in the true values of valley rugby which he has carried on into his coaching career with the Blues, the other is my Francois Pienaar from 1999, his reputation speaks for itself in world rugby and I had the pleasure of meeting him at a book signing so he also signed my Grogg.

Are there any Groggs you regret selling and if so why?
Have never thought of selling any

Who would you love to see Grogged and why?
It would have to be Welsh boxer Joe Calzaghe

Now for some photographs of your collection:

Photograph Courtesy of Roy Wilkinson

Photograph Courtesy of Roy Wilkinson

Photograph Courtesy of Roy Wilkinson

No comments:

Post a Comment