Grogg Blog Header Photo

Grogg Blog Header Photo

Thursday 14 August 2014

Collector Profile - Mark Baldwin


Age: 52

Location: Now Solihull in the West Midlands due to work but I come from Porthcawl where my family are

When did you first hear about Groggs and when did you start collecting/buy your first piece?

In 1980 I left school and went to the Polytechnic of Wales in Pontypridd to study my degree in Mathematics & Computing. It was shortly after arriving I found The Grogg Shop and my love affair with Groggs began.

What made you want to start collecting? 

I am a mad rugby man, still playing at the age of 52 and currently getting ready for the new season ahead. When I came across the Groggs in my late teens I could see so many of my heros that I had watched on the Arms Park I just could not resist them.

What were the first 3 Groggs you owned and why in particular did you pick these?

First Grogg
As a young tight head prop but on a student grant, a six inch Graham Price was my first Grogg. See picture below. I have 8 Groggs of Graham Price either on his own or in front rows with Bobby Windsor and Charlie Faulkner. 

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin
































My tight head prop theme continued through my Grogg Years as Adam Jones is the player I have the second most Groggs of with 5. Below I am pictured with Adam and Duncan plus pictured holding Adam’s shirt at the Grogg Shop

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin





























































Second Grogg
Because it made me laugh

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin
















Third Grogg
Many people said that at 20 I looked like the standard Grogg so I had one made up in my club Porthcawl’s kit including my number 3 on the back and nickname “Chuckles” at the front. In total there are six of these in circulation. The second picture is me on my Pontypridd graduation day with similar hair and moustache to the Grogg.
Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin
Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin




















































Do you still own these Groggs and if not why?

Yes I have all my Groggs

What Groggs do you try to collect now or would you like to collect going forward?

My favourite Grogg to collect is the rugby 9 inch but I now have all of these including non-Welsh and add to my collection only as new ones are produced. I also have a larger number of bigger than 9 inch Groggs up to 16 inch. I have all the miniatures, nine sheep, five dragons, five family related (wedding, baby etc) three Cardiff City and various others such as the Mount Groggmore, The Slams, Perfect Day, 9-3, the big Mohammed Ali, Pavarotti and many more. I still have many others to collect.

How many Groggs do you own? 

Currently 233 Groggs and still growing. They are on display mainly in three rooms in the downstairs of my house. My wife is very understanding.

What's your favourite Grogg and why?

So many but I really like the Lions Roar below which has such fantastic detail on. It is closely followed by the 40th Front Row, Mount Groggmore and my wedding Grogg.

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin


















 











 


Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin
 












 


















Who would you love to see Grogged and why?

From bygone times – Clive Williams, why?
-Played for Wales and the British Lions
-Front Row
-Porthcawl boy

From Current Players – Dan Bigger, why
-Part of the “Better Than A Slam 2013” team so deserves a Grogg

Now for some more photographs of your collection:

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin

Photograph Courtesy of Mark Baldwin

No comments:

Post a Comment