Grogg Blog Header Photo

Grogg Blog Header Photo

Saturday 16 August 2014

A long time ago in a rugby ground far far away....... By Guest Writer Chris Wright

A New Hope:

Since my son was born he has been surrounded by Rugby but showed no interest until he was about 6 when one night he asked to watch Scrum V with me.  After a few of these sessions he began to really take an interest.

So the Six Nations 2012 came to an end and as is tradition I buy a Grogg to celebrate whether Wales win or lose (we won that year....). Daryn had started showing a mild interest in the few groggs that I had at this point. So I thought what a fun suggestion it would be for him to choose the next one. I did to be honest want a different one but wanted to encourage him.

I gave him a selection from 12 Wales Groggs that I didn’t have. These were Sam Warburton, Adam Jones (action), Mike Philips, Ian Evans, Ian Gough, Alun-Wyn Jones, Stephen Jones, Leigh Halfpenny (old style),  Jamie Roberts,  Andy Powell, Gavin Henson (action) and Scott Quinnell. I really really wanted to get Jamie Roberts or Stephen Jones, but for some reason I will never understand still said to my son, choose.

The Offspring Strikes Back

So he did and he would always go back to the same one, Alun-Wyn Jones. On several occasions I tried to change his mind (not that I didn’t like the piece I loved it but wanted Roberts and Jones more) but Daryn was not for shifting. So I logged onto the computer and proceeded to buy it with Daryn sat on my knee. 

Just before I clicked complete order I finally got round to asking him why he chose that one.  He said because he looks like Anakin Skywalker.......... I was dumbfounded, Daryn like his Dad had become a fan of Star Wars and watched the cartoons and the films on a regular basis.  I burst into laughter at the brilliance of his logic and thinking (he got a bit upset thinking I was laughing at him). So I suggested that we Tweeted Alun-Wyn himself to tell him the magical conversation.

A little while later and we received a reply. He simply wrote ‘Jedi Grogg? Lol’. Daryn and I were made up. So I ordered the Grogg but requested that on the back of the piece was written the words ‘Jedi Grogg’. When it arrived we Tweeted him back with the picture of the new piece and he tweeted us back one more with the hashtag #maytheforcebewithyou.

My son from then on would not talk about any other rugby player at all without mentioning AWJ. He was hooked. However this was not to be the end of this adventure.

The Return of the Ospreys 

21ST October 2012 – Leicester Tigers vs Ospreys

Unbeknownst to most people my wife is from Leicestershire and has contacts, so she managed to get hold of some excellent tickets to go and watch the Ospreys battle (in vain) against the Tigers. Due to the location of her parents house I asked if it would be ok if I took Daryn. When we got there Daryn being only 6 was overwhelmed by the crowds and when the Ospreys got off the bus he was in awe.  We waited until the end of the game and we were able to meet most of the Ospreys players along with a few tag along legends. 

Daryn got a mini Ryan Jones signed and was super pleased. However right towards the end he turned around and walking towards him was Alun-Wyn Jones. Daryn and I were the only Ospreys fan waiting to meet players and all the Leicester Tiger fans were shocked to hear a little six year old jumping up and down shouting because he had seen his hero.

Alun-Wyn was fantastic with him and even remembered the conversation. He signed the Grogg and had his photo with Daryn. My son insists to this day that he was calm and not excited but Dad saw different.
Since that day we have been joined by two other AWJs including a 1st edition. 

However no Grogg has ever taken the place of the Jedi Grogg in his heart.




Photograph Courtesy of Chris Wright

Photograph Courtesy of Chris Wright

Photograph Courtesy of Chris Wright

Photograph Courtesy of Chris Wright

Photograph Courtesy of Chris Wright

Photograph Courtesy of Chris Wright

No comments:

Post a Comment