Grogg Blog Header Photo

Grogg Blog Header Photo

Tuesday 19 August 2014

Collector Profile - Gary James


Age: 42 

Location: Shropshire thanks to being in the RAF for the past 17+ years. Originally from Neath Valley.

When and how did you start collecting Groggs?
I had always fancied the Groggs but I could never afford one as a boy. In 1988 at the age of 16, I was part of my school team that played at the old National Stadium in a successful Welsh Schools Cup Final. As a well done my parents bought me my first Grogg - Bob Norster as I was second row. They'd even written to Bob and he sent me a signed photo and one of his British Lions pin brooches. A gentleman.

What were the first 3 Groggs you owned and why in particular did you pick these?
Bob Norster was first and about a dozen years later I bought myself a Gareth Edwards. The most iconic player of my childhood. A couple of years later I decided to start collecting. A chap from Swansea was selling off his collection pre divorce settlement so I picked up a few in one go - Scott Gibbs, Jonathan Davies in Wales kit, Ieuan Evans, Rob Howley and Lomu.

Do you still own these Groggs and if not why?
Yes. Only ever sold one Grogg and that was Shane in Wales kit as I had the same Shane in Lions kit (3/100) signed by the player. A fellow collector wanted him to complete a set and I was happy to oblige. It paid dividends as he then pointed me in the direction of a Jonathan Davies in Neath kit.

What Groggs do you try to collect now?
I avoid footballers and minis but collect most others. Rugby predominantly but also musicians, dragons and miners as my grandpa was a collier. I don't buy Groggs of disagreeable people so I'll never have a Mike Phillips for example. Ideally I would love more Groggs in Neath kit and a Brian Williams.

How many Groggs do you own? 
50

What's your favourite Grogg and why?
Like others it's impossible as it varies depending on mood. Top 3 in no particular order are Lion's Roar (number 40 bought for my 40th in 2011), Dai Morris in Neath kit and my signed Max Boyce as I am from Glynneath.

Are there any Groggs you regret selling if so why?
Only sold one but no regrets as it got me a better one in return.

Who would you love to see Grogged?
Sonny Bill Williams with his tattoos, Gatland and Shaun Edwards.

Now for some photographs of your collection:

Photograph Courtesy of Gary James

Photograph Courtesy of Gary James

Photograph Courtesy of Gary James

Photograph Courtesy of Gary James

Photograph Courtesy of Gary James

Photograph Courtesy of Gary James

Photograph Courtesy of Gary James

Photograph Courtesy of Gary James

No comments:

Post a Comment