Grogg Blog Header Photo

Grogg Blog Header Photo

Thursday 9 October 2014

Exclusive Collector Profile - Kristian Dacey - Cardiff Blues - By Rob Van Der Steen

Photograph Courtesy of cardiffblues.com
Born in Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales in July 1989, Kristian Dacey had his first foray into Rugby Union at the young age of 6 where he turned out for the Merthyr Minis. Kristian went on to feature for Abercynon from the age of 13 before returning to Merthyr at the age of 16 where he featured for the Merthyr Junior Sections, the Blues North and the Merthyr Youth team where he was part of a truly formidable side who achieved the Youth Treble, which included the League Title, Youth Cup and District Cup.

Kristian was touted as a future star from an early age and in the 2007/08 season he was featuring regularly for Merthyr RFC  in Division One whilst also turning out for the Cardiff Blues under 20's team.

In 2008 Kristian signed for Pontypridd RFC, linking up with his older brother Gavin following a series of impressive friendly appearances for the Black and Whites.

Under the guidance of Pontypridd Coach Dale "The Chief" McIntosh, Kristian flourished and it was this guidance which assisted the move from the familiar Number 8 position to Hooker in early 2010. This was a positional change which almost instantly paid dividends with Kristian having an outstanding season at Number 2, he went on to help Ponty to a magnificent Welsh Challenge Cup victory.

This shift in position, coupled with a superb season led to the Cardiff Blues upgrading Kristian to a senior contract where he would turn out in the Premiership for Cardiff RFC and of course feature for the Blues.

In September 2010, Kristian got his opportunity to make his competitive debut for the Blues in a victory of Irish team Connacht. Kristian has gone on to make over 50 appearances for Cardiff Blues and has truly gone from strength to strength, even finishing the Region's top Try scorer in the 2013/14 season which can be considered his real breakthrough season.

Billed as one of the hottest prospects in Wales, it is surely just a matter of time before Kristian is selected for the National team and challenges Richard Hibbard for that starting spot. Of course with the return of Matthew Rees to the Blues squad following his battle with testicular cancer, Kristian will have to challenge for that starting Hooker position. I'm sure this is a challenge Kristian is happy to take on and will embrace the opportunity to learn from a fantastic role model and professional .

The Grogg Blog was fortunate enough to undertake a short Q&A with Kristian and although he hasn't yet been Grogged Kristian is a keen collector of these Welsh wonders and was happy to share some of his thoughts on The World of Groggs. A huge thank you to Kristian for his help on this piece, hope you all enjoy!

When and how did you start collecting Groggs? 
Growing up I loved anything and everything to do with Rugby, a friend of the family had a collection of old school Groggs and I was mesmerised by them! After seeing those Groggs I was determined to start my own collection and asked for a Grogg that Christmas. I think I was about 11.

How did you come to hear about the Groggshop?
It would have been from the same family friend whose collection I saw.

What were the first 3 Groggs you owned and why in particular did you pick these?
Merv 'The Swerve' Davies - This was my first ever Grogg. I received it for Christmas, at the time I was playing in back row.
Terry Cobner - I had Terry Cobner when I played for Wales under 18's because he was the Team Manager at the time.
Keith Wood - I had this Grogg about 6 years ago after spending a week doing a coaching camp with him in Paris.

What Groggs do you try to collect now? For example Welsh, 9", Minis, Footballers etc
I tend to collect players I have played against/with or players that I admire.

How many Groggs do you own?
I currently own 10 but I do have my eye on a few and plan to expand my collection very soon... got a couple on the Christmas list! P.S. How do I order a Sonny Bill Williams Grogg so I can have it under my tree?  

What's your favourite Grogg and why?
My favourite Grogg is the Lions Front Row, this is the Welsh front row I have grown up watching. I had it for Christmas not long after I converted to Hooker and eagerly had it signed and put it pride of place in my cabinet, little did I know they would end up being my team mates!

You play professional  rugby for a living can you remember the first time you saw someone you personally  know getting Grogged. If so what were your thoughts and who was the person Grogged?
The first time I saw someone I personally know getting Grogged was when I was about 18 and playing for the mighty Pont, the Grogg was of Nathan Strong. My thoughts were "What a Jammy Bugger!" 

Who would you love to see Grogged and why? Maybe an idol/hero growing up
Stuart Williams, he is a true Ponty legend.

For most individuals being Grogged is something they really treasure and are proud of and is often seen as a recognition of achievement. What are you most proud of in terms of achievements to date, what do you hope to achieve in your career and is potentially  being Grogged something you hope to be selected for in the future?
I have felt pride in every stage of my career, whether it be playing on a Sunday for Merthyr Minis, winning the Swalec Cup with Ponty, playing my first game for the Blues or playing in the probable-possible trial. You work hard through the week to earn your jersey on the weekend and are proud to have earned your place regardless of the level. I do however feel proud and privileged to be able to make a living out of something I love doing. In my opinion the highest accolade in Rugby is to earn an International Cap and to be Grogged and I am still striving to achieve both!!

Now for a few photographs of Kristian's own Grogg collection. Once again a huge thank you to Kristian for getting involved!
Photograph Courtesy of Kristian Dacey
Photograph Courtesy of Kristian Dacey
 

No comments:

Post a Comment