Grogg Blog Header Photo

Grogg Blog Header Photo

Sunday 19 October 2014

Collector Profile - Gwion Dafydd

Age: 33

Location: Turn right in Carmarthen and carry on until you're lost

When and how did you start collecting Groggs? How did you come to hear about the Groggshop?
My Habana certificate says June '09, so just over 5 years. I'd always known about the Groggshop as Dad had one and my brother won one off an S4C show many years ago, but didn't visit until that fateful summer. I love going in there, and think I may be one of the rare people who can just "pop in for a look".

What were the first 3 Groggs you owned?
Habana, McCaw and O'Driscoll, although BOD was actually bought off ebay (back when you could bag a bargain for £60!)

Do you still own these Groggs and if not why?
Yep, still with me. Since it's a pretty small collection, I haven't seen the need to sell yet. I'm trying to keep my collection quite "manageable" to be honest!

What Groggs do you try to collect now?
I got Habana to be different really, since most collections I'd seen had loads of Wales players and this didn't appeal to me for some reason. I then started to add to my collection with the aim of not having more than one in any particular strip, although I have slipped somewhat! It's still in the back of my mind though, and keeps me on the straight and narrow really as I know there's a "sensible" limit to how many I can get!

How many Groggs do you own?
10 altogether, which is near the limit for my "designated display unit". I also feel I'm living quite dangerously as the cabinet has 2 glass shelves, and I'm not sure of the weight limit, hence why the front row is on the bottom even though the middle shelf would be its ideal spot in my opinion!

What's your favourite Grogg?
I do like my front row, which I got off ebay for £180. It's partly down to the sheer bulk and weight of it, plus of course the fact it was such a bargain! However, my Dad's unique Grogg of Plwmsan (Mici Plwm's iconic character from a children's S4C programme in the 80s...OK, I know I've lost most of you now!) holds something very personal, mainly since I still can't believe it was made (for an Eisteddfod auction in the mid 80s). Dad took it to the shop a few years ago to see if it could be touched up and John (who said he wouldn't advise repainting it) remembered it after all those years.

Are there any Groggs you regret selling if so why?
Not yet, although I'm thinking of selling my North, to make room for the Action North, which I may regret in future

Who would you love to see Grogged and why?
As a Newcastle Emlyn boy, I'd like to see Scott Williams Grogged, which should happen hopefully. In an Emlyn kit as well if possible (this may be pushing it!).

Now for some photographs of your collection:

Photograph Courtesy Of Gwion Dafydd

Photograph Courtesy Of Gwion Dafydd

Photograph Courtesy Of Gwion Dafydd

Photograph Courtesy Of Gwion Dafydd

Photograph Courtesy Of Gwion Dafydd

No comments:

Post a Comment