Grogg Blog Header Photo

Grogg Blog Header Photo

Wednesday 28 January 2015

Collector Profile - Steve Morgan

Something a bit different now for all you Grogg Blog fans. In a change from the usual Q&A style collectr profile we have this great piece by fellow collector Steve Morgan, in which he gives us a great insight into his collection and the meaning behind each of his Groggs. I hope you all enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not a big rugby fan so when I wanted to start collecting I just decided to go for the greatest of them all (Ali). I decided to make my statue unique with an inscription so I went with Ali's quote from the very moment that this pose is based on. "Get up sucker and fight, get up and fight!"

This was closely followed by George Best in his Northern Ireland Strip (another who is also seen by some as the Greatest in his sport). The quote this time is "Maradona Good, Pele Better, George Best"

Following the "Greatest" theme I went for Gareth Edwards next, inscribed with a line from the commentary on that try - "A dramatic start! What a score! Oh that fellow Edwards!" Being the legend that he is Gareth very kindly signed the base & the back of the shirt when asked.

The Greatest boxer in my living memory is Mike Tyson so he was the obvious next choice but unfortunately no 15" version so he looks a little small against the others! Inscribed "Iron Mike b.30.June.1966" I'm still debating whether or not to try to get his face tattoo added in someway to make him even more unique! I know this was added after he retired but it is iconic.

The sad death of Roger Lloyd-Pack last year 'Triggered' an overdue addition to the Only Fools and Horses set of statues. I had this inscribed with "RIP 8.Feb.1944 - 15.Feb.2014"  I'm looking forward to adding Del, Rodney, Uncle Albert (and possibly Boycie and Granddad in years to come?)

The next in the "Greatest" collection will be probably be one or both of the greatest Welsh footballers John Charles and Ryan Giggs (a possibly Gareth Bale if he appears as a 15" statue)


Photograph Courtesy of Steve Morgan
Photograph Courtesy of Steve Morgan




Photograph Courtesy of Steve Morgan
Photograph Courtesy of Steve Morgan
Photograph Courtesy of Steve Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment